FULL PROFESSOR AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MORPHOLOGY, PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY, DENTAL SCHOOL OF RIBEIRÃO PRETO/USP.
• I am an integrative physiologist studying body temperature regulation and systemic inflammation.
EDUCATION, POSITIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1982-86 Bachelor Degree in Physical Therapy at Univ. Estadual de Londrina (UEL)
1987-90 Graduate Student (Masters) at School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto/USP with Wamberto A. Varanda
1990-93 Graduate Student (PhD) at School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto/USP with Mogens L. Glass
1992-93 Grad. Student at Lovelace Medical Foundation, Albuquerque,
NM, USA. (with Stephen C. Wood, Ph.D.)
1994-95 Postdoctoral fellow, Hotel Dieu de Montreal, Montreal, Canada (with Jolanta Gutkowska, Ph.D.)
1994-99 Assistant Professor, Dept. Physiology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, Brazil
1999-05 Associate Professor, Dept. Physiology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, Brazil
2004- Full Professor, Dept. Physiology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, Brazil
2008-09 Visiting scientist, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (with Quentin Pittman, Ph.D.)
• Mauro Ferreira da Silva – Research Technician
• Maycon Tavares Emílio Silva – Undergraduate student
• Caroline Rodrigues dos Santos – Undergraduate student
• Camila Porto Capel – Undergraduate student
• Gabriela Silva Borges – MSc student
• Rodrigo Restrepo Fernandez – PhD student
• Jonatas Nogueira – PhD student
• Clarissa Dias Mota – PhD student
• Flávia Corrêa Turcato – PhD student
• Bruna Maitan Santos – PhD student
• Steiner A.A. and Branco, L. G. Hypoxia-induced anapyrexia: Implications and putative mediators. Annual Review of Physiology, 64, 263-288, 2002.
• Almeida, M.C.; Steiner, A.A.; Coimbra N.C. and Branco, L.G. Thermoeffector neuronal pathways in fever: a study in rats showing a new role of locus coeruleus. Journal of Physiology 558, 283-294, 2004.
• Branco, L.G., Moreira T.S., Guyenet P.G., Lalley P.M., Kawai A., Putnam R.W., Chamberlin N.L., Saper C.B., Gourine AV., Kanamaru M., Homma I. Commentaries on Viewpoint: Central chemoreception is a complex system function that involves multiple brain stem sites. J Appl Physiol. 106(4):1467-70, 2009.
• Branco, L.G., Bicego, K.C., Carnio E.C. and Pittman Q. Gaseous neurotransmitters and their role in anapyrexia. Frontiers in Bioscience, 2:948-60, 2010.
• da Silva G.S., Giusti H., Benedetti M., Dias M.B., Gargaglioni L.H., Branco L.G.,
Glass M.L. Serotonergic neurons in the nucleus raphe obscurus contribute to interaction between central and peripheral ventilatory responses to hypercapnia. Pflugers Arch. 462(3):407-1, 2011.
• Kwiatkoski M, Soriano R.N., Francescato, H.D.C., Batalhao M.E., Coimbra, M.C., Carnio, C.C. and Branco, L.G. Hydrogen sulfide as a cryogenic mediator of hypoxia-induced anapyrexia, Neuroscience 10;201:146-56, 2012.
• Kwiatkoski M., Soriano R.N., Araujo R.M., Azevedo L.U., Batalhao M.E., Francescato H.D., Coimbra T.M., Carnio E.C., Branco L.G. Hydrogen sulfide inhibits preoptic prostaglandin E(2) production during endotoxemia. Exp Neurol. 240:88-95, 2013.
• Donatti AF, Araujo RM, Soriano RN, Azevedo LU, Leite-Panissi CA, Branco L.G. Role of hydrogen sulfide in the formalin-induced orofacial pain in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 5;738:49-56, 2014.
• Donatti A.F., Soriano R.N., Sabino J.P., Branco L.G. Involvement of endogenous hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in the rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) in hypoxia-induced hypothermia. Brain Res Bull. 108:94-9, 2014.
• Branco L.G., Soriano R.N., Steiner A.A. Gaseous mediators in temperature regulation. Compr Physiol. 4(4):1301-38, 2014.