ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MORPHOLOGY, PHYSIOLOGY AND BASIC PATHOLOGY OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL OF RIBEIRÃO PRETO / USP.
TITLES AND RESEARCH AREA:
The interest of the laboratory is to study:
1. The neuroendocrine control of reproductive function, especially the noradrenergic system,
2. the effects of stress on female fertility, and
3. the endocrine and mood changes in perimenopause.
In our lab we study:
- the neuroendocrine control of reproductive function, especially the noradrenergic system,
- the effects of stress on female fertility,
- the endocrine and mood alterations occurring during perimenopause.
We have demonstrated that brain norepinephrine (NE) is essential for the ovulatory process. These data are important because they provide the basis for understanding the mechanisms underlying reproductive disorders associated with stress. Indeed, we observed that changes in the secretion of NE in situations of chronic stress alter fertility inducing Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is a leading cause of infertility in women. We have also demonstrated in an animal model of perimenopause that endocrine changes and mood disorders (anxiety, depression, and aggressiveness) observed in this model are similar to those described in women. These changes appear to be due to the decreased content of serotonin and estrogen receptors β, both involved in the control of affective state-in brain areas related to the mood control.
|INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE
|YEAR(s)||FIELD OF STUDY|
|School of Medicine at Rib. Preto -University of São Paulo (FMRP/USP)||B.Bs. Biological Sciences B.S.||1978||Neuroendocrinology|
|FMRP -USP||MS -Physiology||1982||Neuroendocrinology|
|FMRP/USP- University of Texas/Dallas (USA)
University of Texas- Dallas (USA)
Wake Forest University-North Caroline (USA)
Post- Doc Physiology
Post- Doc Physiology
- Positions and Honors.
1989-1999 Assistant Professor FORP-USP
1999-2012 Associate Professor 1 – FORP-USP
2012-present Associate Professor 3 – FORP-USP
Researcher of CNPq (National Council of Scientific and Technologic Development) since 1989.
1996–Present Tutor for Graduate Program in Physiology, Medical School of Ribeirao Preto, USP
2002–2009 Tutor for Graduate Program in Gynecology, Medical School of Ribeirao Preto USP
2001 Award Alvaro Osorio de Almeida Brazilian Biology and Experimental Societies Federation (FeSBE)
2004 Award Young Researcher – for Scientific Initiation Student. CNPq/Federal Univer. of Rio Grande do Sul
2004 Brazilian Biology and Experimental Societies Federation (FeSBE) – Honorable Mention.
2004 Title of Cultural Merit Honor – Municipal Chamber – Ribeirão Preto
2004 Award Alvaro Osorio de Almeida, Brazilian Physiology Society (SBFis) – Honorable Mention.
2005 Indicated work as “Must Read” (Factor 6,0) by Faculty 1000 Biology. Major Advances. Expert Opinions.
2006 Brazilian Biology and Experimental Societies Federation (FeSBE) – Honorable Mention for two posters.
2006 Travel Award of the International Neuroendocrine Federation (INF) for ICN USA..
2007 Brazilian Biology and Experimental Societies Federation (FeSBE)- Honorable Mention.
2008 Travel Awards for two posters of the International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
2009 Travel Award of the “5th International Meeting – Steroids and Nervous System”, Italy
2009 Award of Excellence – “5th International Meeting – Steroids and Nervous System”, Italy
2009 Award Alvaro Osorio de Almeida, Brazilian Physiology Society (SBFis) – Honorable Mention.
2009 International Symposium of Scientific Initiation of University of São Paulo (SIICUSP)- Honorable Mention.
2009 V Award Young scientist 19 (3º place) Pharmacy School-University of São Paulo.
2010 Travel award of International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) fo ICN France
2010 Travel award of International Neuroendocrine Federation (INF)- for ICN France
2010 Nutrição meeting-UNESP- Honorable Mention for one poster
2010 Indicated work as “Recommended” (Factor 3,0) by Faculty 1000 Biology. Major Advances. Expert Opinions
2011 Award Second Best work-First Brazilian International Symposium on Integrative Neuroendocrinology
2012 34º Dental Meeting of FORP-USP – Honorable mention for oral presentation.
2012 Scientific Impact Award FMVZ-University of São Paulo 2011/2012
- Memberships in Scholarly Societies
- Brazilian Physiology Society (SBFis)
- Brazilian Society of Neuroscience and Behavior (SBNeC) – Secretary General (1999-2002)- Vice-President (2005-2008)
- International Brain Research Organization
- Brazilian Biology and Experimental Societies Federation (FeSBE)
- Brazilian Endocrinology and Metabology Society (SBEM)
- American Neuroendocrine Society (ANS)
- International Neuroendocrine Federation (INF) – Member of INF Strategic Action Committee (INF SAC), Representative of Latin America in the INF Council; General Secretary of INF.
- Sociedad Chilena de Reproducción y Desarrollo
- USA Society for Neuroscience (SFN)
- European Endocrine Society (ESE)
- Pós-Doc:Bruna Kalil
- PhD Students:Paulo de Tarso Silva Barros, Nayara Pestana de Oliveira.
- Master’s Students:Isabele Rodrigues dos Santos e Marina Monteiro dos Santos Scafuto
- Undergraduate Student:Litamara Carolina Dalpogeto
- Technician:Ruither de Oliveira Gomes Carolino
- SZAWKA RE., RIBEIRO AB, LEITE CM, HELENA CVV, FRANCI CR, ANDERSON GM, HOFFMAN GE, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Kisspeptin regulates prolactin release through hypothalamic dopaminergic neurons. Endocrinology Apr 21; Jul; 151(7):3247-57, 2010.
- LEITE CM, RIBEIRO AB, SZAWKA RE. ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Activity of hypothalamic dopaminergic neurones during the day of oestrus: involvement in prolactin secretion. Journal of Neuroendocrinology, 22:1052-1060, 2010.
- KISS A, DELATTRE AM, PEREIRA,SIR; CAROLINO RG, SZAWKA RE, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA, ZANATA SM, CURTE FERRAZ. 17beta-estradiol replacement in young, adult and middle-aged female ovariectomized rats promotes improvement of spatial reference memory and an antidepressant effect and alters monoamines and BDNF levels in memory- and depression-related brain areas. Behavioural Brain Research 227:100-108, 2012.
- BERNUCI MP, LEITE CM, BARROS PTS, KALIL B, LEONI GB, DEL BIANCO-BORGES B, FRANCI CR, SZAWKA RE, LARA HE, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Transitory activation of central and ovarian norepinephrine systems during cold stress-induced polycystic ovary in rats. J of Neuroendocrinology 25(1):23-33 2013.
- SZAWKA RE, POLETINI MO, LEITE CM, BERNUCI MP, KALIL B, MENDONÇA LBD, CAROLINO ROG, HELENA CVV, BERTRAM R, FRANCI CR, FREEMAN ME, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Release of norepinephrine in the preoptic area activates anteroventral periventricular nucleus neurons and stimulates the surge of luteinizing hormone. Endocrinology, 4(1):363-74, 2013.
- KALIL B, CARVALHO-LIMA M, FRANCI CR, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Role of Sex Steroids in Progesterone and Corticosterone Response to Acute Restraint Stress in rats: Sex Differences. 2013 Jul;16(4):452-60.
- REIS FMVC; PESTANA-OLIVEIRA N; LEITE CM; LIMA FB; BRANDÃO ML; GRAEFF FG; DEL BEM CM; ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. Hormonal changes and increased anxiety-like behavior in a perimenopause-animal model induced by 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide (VCD) in female rats. PsychoneuroendocrinologyJul 12;49C:130-140, 2014.
- RIBEIRO AB, LEITE CM, KALIL B, FRANCI CR, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA, SZAWKA RE. Kisspeptin regulates tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurones and prolactin secretion in an oestradiol-dependent manner in male and female rats. J Neuroendocrinol. Feb;27(2):88-99, 2015.
- HELENA CV, TOPORIKOVA N, KALIL B, STATHOPOULOS AM, POGREBNA VV, CAROLINO RO, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA, BERTRAM R. KNDy neurons modulate the magnitude of the steroid-induced luteinizing hormone surges in ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology Nov;156(11):4200-1, 2015.
- KALIL B, RIBEIRO AB, LEITE CM, UCHÔA ET, CAROLINO RO2, CARDOSO TS, ELIAS LL, RODRIGUES JA, PLANT TM, POLETINI MO, ANSELMO-FRANCI JA. The increase in signaling by kisspeptin neurons in the pre-optic area and associated changes in clock gene expression that trigger the LH surge in female rats are dependent on the facilitatory action of a noradrenaline input. Endocrinology. 2016 Jan;157(1):323-35.
- Plataforma LATTES: cnpq.br/6477976671621151
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.br/citations?user=lk-q5E4AAAAJ